2014/11/12

Common questions to parents of twins – Part 2: the uncomfortable/way too personal questions

After my previous post on common ‘odd/silly/way too obvious’ questions to parents of twins, today I’ll write about the most frequently asked uncomfortable or very personal questions that parents of multiples come across in their daily life. Mostly, these are questions you would probably never ask a mom of one child or children of different ages, but somehow people think it’s ok to ask a mother of multiples. Future parents of twins: as you will undoubtedly hear these questions in the years to come, I would recommend you read through them and try to prepare in advance, so that you can possibly avoid some uncomfortable situations while visiting a public place with your twins.


Are they natural or did you use fertility drugs?
Believe it or not, this is a very common question from complete strangers. First of all, are you saying twins conceived after use of fertility drugs are ‘not natural’? Second, this is really none of your business! In my case, I don’t have any big problems with this question as my twin pregnancy was really a ‘random act of nature’, not influenced by fertility drugs or a family history of twins. However, I can imagine this question can be received very differently by parents who have had to go through a long and difficult process of fertility treatments before conceiving their twins. Sometimes in order to not ask the fertility question literally, people will ask instead if twins run in your family. Best short answer if you don’t want to explain the whole story: ‘They do now!’

You had a c-section, right?
No, I did not, and I’m very proud of it! But again, depending on each different situation I can imagine this could be an uncomfortable question, and not one you should ask a complete stranger in the vegetables & fruits section of the supermarket.

Wow, twins! So now you’re done, right?
Or even better: ‘I guess you had your tubes tied after that, didn’t you?’ Well, thanks for helping me decide that my family is complete now; however, I’d rather make that decision myself, at home, together with my husband and when we’re ready for it – not when asked by a stranger just a few weeks after having given birth to my twins!

Can I have one? You have two of them anyway!
This was probably the question that bothered me most in the first weeks after our daughters were born. Every time we had to go somewhere with our girls (usually the hospital for newborn checkups), we would get that question several times from complete strangers. I’m still not sure if everyone was joking or if some people really meant it seriously. However, as a very new mom of two tiny and defenseless babies (and with my pregnancy hormones still quite present), my first reaction used to be ‘No, they’re mine!’, while holding whichever twin I had in my arms at that moment a little closer to my chest. Ok, I probably did my best effort to smile to these people as long as I was sure they were joking. The smile was only there on the outside, though. Inside, I was screaming ‘don’t you dare to touch her!’.

Do/did you breastfeed them?
I can imagine people must be curious to know how someone would manage to breastfeed twins; however this is a very personal and possibly difficult subject you shouldn’t ask about unless you know the mother well or unless she is the one who starts to talk about it. So is breastfeeding twins possible? Yes, certainly. And can you breastfeed both twins at the same time? With a bit of practice, yes, certainly (2 breasts, 2 babies – seems like the math is right). However, it’s not always as easy as just getting some practice – keep in mind that many twins are premature babies and it’s not always possible for them to learn how to get milk from the breast, which is why additional or exclusive bottle-feeding might be necessary to make sure they’ll gain enough weight. Some mothers might not have enough milk for both twins, while other mothers might decide from the beginning to bottle-feed only (and yes, you can bottle-feed both twins at the same time, too). Whatever the situation is, it’s not something you should ask about when you come across a mother of twins at the mall or in the supermarket. My recommendation for Moms of twins: try to be prepared for this question with whatever answer feels best for you (even if that’s a ‘None of your business’ kind of answer), and most importantly: whatever your situation is, try to feel good about it (even if things turned out differently than you wished or planned) and never let any comments from others make you doubt about it!


Are you a parent of twins (or a twin yourself!) and have you experienced any other uncomfortable or very personal questions? Or do you have any good (or fun!) suggestions for answering these questions from strangers? Feel free to share in a comment!



No comments:

Post a Comment